Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Communal self build

Sarah Oram, modified 5 Years ago.

Communal self build

New Member Posts: 5 Join Date: 04/07/17 Recent Posts

Description: Erection of 2 No. detached dwellings following demolition of existing dwelling and outbuildings.

Self build form 7.1 rec’d requesting self build on both new dwellings. Form submitted under ‘M&M Self Build Project’ which is apparently a combined name of two people. These two people will live separately within each dwelling.

Can you submit a claim for two dwellings? I think no because reg. 54A (2) ‘self build housing is a dwelling built by P’.

If no can they submit two separate forms requesting individual relief? Again I think no but there is no regulation to support this that I can find.

Can they claim it is a communal development? The regs confuse me on this one, I think they are contradictory depending on how you read them. Reg 54A (4) ‘Subject to paragraph (5), development is self-build communal development if it is for the benefit of the occupants of more than one dwelling that is self build housing, whether or not it is also for the benefit of the occupants of relevant development.

(5) Development is not self build communal development if it is –

(a)wholly or partly made up of one or more dwellings;

What are your thoughts?