Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Counting surplus provision in 5 year land supply

Former Member, modified 4 Years ago.

Counting surplus provision in 5 year land supply

One of the local authorities that I work for has had an appeal decision which challenges the way in which they have dealt with surplus provision in the calculation of 5 year housing land supply. The authority in question has exceeded the adopted plan requirement to date and in calculating the 5 year land supply target has subtracted the surplus provision from the plan requirement for the next five years and then added the 5% buffer.  The appeal Inspector considered this approach to be out of step with the national policy objective of boosting housing supply significantly. He rejected  the argument that oversupply should be deducted from future supply for 2 main reasons. First, the delivery of houses will vary from year to year, and deducting past oversupply could lead to an artificially low expectation in the future, which would conflict with the national policy objective. Secondly housing need is expected to be reviewed every 5 years in any event, so action could be taken to address significant oversupply in the short to medium term. He also added that in any event delivery expectations are not upper limits. This position appears to be contrary to advice issued by PAS in the past and I wondered if anyone has examples of appeals which have adopted the same or perhaps a different position? I understand that this issue is the subject of a case in the High Court, but I am not aware of the details.

You do not have permission to access the requested resource.