Planning Advisory Service (PAS) Logo
Planning Advisory Service (PAS)
Open group | Started - July 2012 | Last activity - Yesterday

Extended Garden Curtilage

Former Member, modified 16 Years ago.

Extended Garden Curtilage

On an estate which borders open countryside a number of householders in one row of houses, whose rear gardens look onto greenfield land have purchased an acre of the land from the local farmer with the intention of sub dividing it into 10 individual plots. Each individual plot being bought by the householder whose property is immediately adjacent to it, ten in total. My authority since becoming aware of the proposals has resisted the sub division of the land on the basis that any garden extension is considered unacceptable development in the countryside being a material change of use, for which planning permission is required. Some of the occupiers have questioned the Council's ability to prevent the erection of post and rail fences on the land with its use remaining as agriculture and have sought clarification as to what activity can be carried out under the definition of agriculture as set out in Section 336 of the Act. In is somewhat difficult to determine what is agriculture, allotment garden or extended domestic garden looking at appeal cases. I do appreciate that one must look at the individual characteristics and appearance of the land to determine such. This matter has now become an enforcement issue due to a small amount of creepage occurring on the land. To date no fences have been erected and the creepage is only minor within the immediate area of the existing garden fences although some householders have removed the boundary treatments given unrestricted access to the land. My Council is considering issuing an Article 4 direction to prevent the sub division of the land treating the land at present as a single planning unit. I would be interested to know if any anyone has had a similar case and the course of action taken.

Sub-division of open land

Where garden fencing is simply removed and no new fencing erected and no physical changes of the land occur it will undoubtedly be difficult to claim an unauthorised material change of use has occurred. However, where the land does become 'domesticated' through for example planting, placing of domestic chattels, toys, ponds etc it will be easier to serve an Enforcement Notice. There is some good advice about available powers on this very matter on the Department of Communities and Local Government website under the title of (Sub-Division) 'The Sale of Rural Plots and the Planning Consequences'

Extended Garden Curtilages

Agree with previous comments re fact and degree to c/u. Could serve PCN to obtain info from residents re use and this would give marker for any future action.Would also suggest Art 4 to control fences and hardstandings etc.